Music City Missile Club Bylaws
ARTICLE 1: PRINCIPLES
SECTION 1 — Name
- 1.1.1 – The club’s name shall be the Music City Missile Club (MC2) pronounced [Em-Cee-Too].
SECTION 2 — Preamble
- 1.2.1 – The herein referred to as MC2 is a volunteer organization of professional, technical, educational and lay persons engaged in the promotion, creation, and implementation of sport rocketry.
SECTION 3 — Purpose
- 1.3.1 – Aid and abet the aims and purposes of the NAR/TRA.
- 1.3.2 – To operate and maintain a rocket range in accordance with NAR/TRA standards, applicable regulations, and the NAR/TRA Safety Code(s) for the benefit of MC2 and its partner organizations.
- 1.3.3 – To hold meetings for the purpose of aiding and encouraging all those interested in rocketry.
- 1.3.4 – To engage in other scientific, educational, or related activities as the NAR/TRA, the club or the MC2 Board of Directors may from time to time deem necessary or desirable in connection with the foregoing.
- 1.3.5 – To have fun and provide a safe environment for sport rocketry activities.
ARTICLE 2: MEMBERSHIP
SECTION 1 — Eligibility
- 2.1.1 – Membership is open to all persons interested in rocketry.
SECTION 2 — Types of Memberships
- 2.2.1 – Members of MC2 shall be defined as one of three types: Individual, Family, or Grandparent.
- 2.2.2 – An Individual is sixteen (16) years old or older, and has full privileges and voting rights.
- 2.2.3 – A Family includes all flying members of the immediate family (spouse and children). They have full privileges but count only as one vote. Children are included until their 19th birthday, and from their 19th birthday until their 25th birthday, provided they remain continuously dependent upon their parents for their principal support.
- 2.2.4 – A Grandparent membership is a Family membership that allows grandparent to include all grandchildren in their Family membership. Their children must purchase and Individual membership. Children cannot be counted twice. The Family members will have full privileges but count only as one vote. Children are included until their 19th birthday, and from their 19th birthday until their 25th birthday, provided they remain continuously dependent upon their parents or grandparents for their principal support. As the number of members in this category could be large. The fee is higher than that of a regular Family Membership.
SECTION 3 — Member Responsibilities
- 2.3.1 – All MC2 members will conform to and conduct all rocket activities in compliance with the Codes, Standards, Safety and Procedures set by the National Association of Rocketry (NAR), the Tripoli Rocketry Association (TRA) and any higher State and/or Federal agency having jurisdiction.
- 2.3.2 – Members of this club shall not be required to be NAR or Tripoli members unless they are flying High Power Rockets.
- 2.3.3 – NAR and TRA membership for MC2 Officers: See Article 3, Section 2.
- 2.3.4 – Dues shall be $20.00 (individual), $30.00 (family), $40.00 (Grandparent) per year, payable in advance. These club dues are separate and distinct from national dues paid to the NAR. All dues monies shall be kept in a General Fund by the Treasurer and shall be paid out by the Treasurer only on order of the club Board of Directors.
- 2.3.5 – Special assessments may be levied by a majority vote of the members present and voting at any meeting of the Section provided notice of such intent is given in writing to each member at least five days preceding such a meeting.
SECTION 4 — Exclusion
- 2.4.1 – This section provides for the enforcement of the safety rules that are related to flying activities and any other unacceptable behavior by individual member or members, as may be determined by the MC2 officers.
- 2.4.2 – Any member or officer may be summarily dismissed from the rights and privileges of MC2 by joint recommendation and three-fourths majority vote of the listed membership.
- 2.4.3 – The MC2 officers shall have discretionary authority to provide for and to impose disciplinary action for such acts or omissions, which do not justify expulsion from membership.
- 2.4.4 – Any member who is expelled from membership may be reinstated to membership only by two- thirds vote of the MC2 officers.
ARTICLE 3: OFFICERS
SECTION 1 — Officers
- 3.1.1 – The officers of MC2 shall be a President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, NAR Advisor, and TRA Prefect.
- 3.1.2 – All officers shall serve one year terms beginning on February 1 of each year.
- 3.1.3 – The Board of Directors of this club shall include the four officers, and both the NAR Advisor, and TRA Prefect if applicable.
SECTION 2 — Eligibility
- 3.2.1 – Any nominee for officer, with the exception of the position of President, shall have been a member of MC2 for not less than one year, and be a NAR or TRA member in good standing.
- 3.2.2 – Any nominee for the position of President shall have been a member of MC2 for not less than two years, and be a NAR or TRA member in good standing.
- 3.2.3 – Any nominee for the position of NAR Advisor or TRA Prefect may also serve in the position of Vice President, Secretary, or Treasurer. Neither may serve as President concurrent with their NAR or TRA role since the President represents all MC2 members regardless of national affiliation.
- 3.2.4 – Nominees for the position of NAR Advisor must be senior members of the NAR in good standing prior to becoming Advisor.
- 3.2.5 – Any nominee for the position of TRA Prefect must be a member of TRA for not less than one year and in good standing prior to becoming Prefect, and hold no lower than a level two certification.
- 3.2.6 – Serving as an elected officer of any national rocketry organization does not, by itself, limit the eligibility to serve as an officer in MC2.
SECTION 3 — Duties of Officers
- 3.3.1 – MC2 President: It shall be the duty of the President to preside over regular MC2 meetings, represent MC2 in regards to local, state, and national events, educational engagements, and demonstrations. The President shall serve as an ex-officio member of all committees, and perform such other duties as ordinarily pertain to this office.
- 3.3.2 – Vice-President: It shall be the duty of the Vice-President to preside in the absence of the President, and serve as an ex-officio member of the annual sport rocketry launch committee known as Southern Thunder on years that the responsibility of organizing the event belong to MC2.
- 3.3.3 – Secretary: It shall be the duty of the Secretary to record the minutes of all meetings, keep a file of the club’s records, and maintain a current roster of the club’s membership.
- 3.3.4 – Treasurer: It shall be the duty of the Treasurer to maintain the records of the MC2 bank account, approve all monetary transactions, and deliver a yearly ‘Statement of Account’ at either the January or February meeting. The treasurer shall serve as an ex-officio member of the annual sport rocketry launch committee known as Southern Thunder on years that the responsibility of organizing the event belong to MC2
- 3.3.5 – NAR Advisor: It shall be the duty of the NAR Advisor to serve as the primary liaison between MC2 and NAR Headquarters, ensure that NAR policies and safety codes are followed, assist MC2 members in finding and utilizing available NAR resources, and provide NAR with information regarding MC2 as requested. Additionally, the NAR Advisor will promote involvement in NAR activities, properly certify other NAR members, diligently report exam results and certification advancements. The NAR Advisor will agree to act in the interests of NAR at all times and will remember that he/she represents NAR, its policies, and its Trustees.
- 3.3.6 – TRA Prefect: It shall be the duty of the TRA Prefect to properly certify other TRA members, to diligently report exam results and certification advancements, and to see that all HARA launches designated as TRA launches follow the TRA Safety Code. The Prefect will agree to act in the interests of Tripoli at all times and will remember that he/she represents Tripoli, Tripoli's policies, and Tripoli's Board of Directors.
SECTION 4 — Vacancies of Officers
- 3.4.1 – Vacancies in office and on the Board shall be filled by nomination and election of a Club member to fill the unexpired term of office and shall take place at the Club meeting at which the vacancy is announced. Nominations for all elections shall be made from the floor, and the candidate having the largest number of votes shall be elected.
ARTICLE 4: DUES AND FINANCES
SECTION 1 — Dues
- 4.1.1 – Dues for the membership year for individuals and families shall be fixed at the first MC2 meeting of the calendar year by the incumbent officers and approved by a two thirds vote of those MC2 members present and voting.
- 4.1.2 – Dues are separate and distinct from those monies paid for memberships to NAR or TRA.
- 4.1.3 – Membership renewals are always the amount of the annual dues.
- 4.1.4 – The membership year will run the first of March to the end of February.
- 4.1.5 – Dues are payable at the first of March 1 of each year.
SECTION 2 — Finances
- 4.2.1 – MC2 shall maintain a checking account for the purpose of paying club expenses.
- 4.2.2 – A savings account may be established for the purpose of capital purchases and must be approved by quorum prior to its establishment.
- 4.2.3 – All bank accounts must be held by FDIC insured institutions.
- 4.2.4 – All MC2 expenses shall be paid by check, debit card, or other reputable payment methods. All such payment methods will ultimately draw funds from the Club’s checking account.
- 4.2.5 – Budgeted expenses are considered to be pre-approved and do not require quorum approval provided they do not exceed the total amount for that budget item.
- 4.2.6 – All non-budgeted expenses must be approved by a quorum.
- 4.2.7 – All expense reimbursements shall be approved by quorum and must be accompanied by transaction receipts.
- 4.2.8 – Checks shall only be written for the documented amount on the receipt or invoice.
- 4.2.9 – All checks will be drafted by the MC2 Treasurer. In the event, the treasurer is unavailable, the President may, in an emergency, draft checks for the Club.
- 4.2.10 – Cash may be withdrawn via check or debit card for a maximum total of $100.00 and only with prior quorum approval. The cash must only be used for making change and must be re-deposited with the other received funds.
ARTICLE 5: COMMITTEES
SECTION 1 — Committees
- 5.1.1 – Committees may be formed as deemed necessary to perform a special function.
- 5.1.2 – Each committee shall be headed by a Chair who reports to the officers of MC2.
- 5.1.3 – The Chair shall be responsible for preparing an initial budget to be approved by quorum.
- 5.1.4 – There shall be three Standing Committees of the Club: Launch Operations Committee; Activities Committee; and the Southern Thunder Launch Committee.
SECTION 2 — Standing Committee Duties
- 5.2.1 – Launch Operations Committee: This committee shall be in charge of the Club's rocket range, acting as landowner liaison, investigating new launch sites, monitoring the experimental technical activities of the Club members, and acting as Safety Inspectors. The Chairman of the Committee shall be a Senior member of the NAR or a TRA member in good standing, and ensure that each launch is staffed with a Range Safety Officer(s) under the NAR/TRA standards, State and Federal regulations, and Safety Code(s).
- 5.2.2 – Activities Committee: This committee shall be in charge of making all arrangements for all Section meetings and social events, for conducting membership campaigns, and for carrying on public relations.
- 5.2.3 – Southern Thunder Launch Committee: MC2 shall host an annual sport rocketry event, known as Southern Thunder, every year in the month of June. A Chair shall be appointed to plan and manage Southern Thunder. The Chair shall present a final accounting of all funds received and fees paid to the MC2 Treasurer within 30 days of the close Southern Thunder.
- 5.2.4 – Equipment and Supplies Committee: This committee shall be in charge of club equipment and supplies. Responsibilities to include, but not limited to maintenance and inventory.
ARTICLE 6: ELECTIONS
SECTION 1 — Nominations
- 6.1.1 – Eligible candidates shall be nominated at the last meeting of the calendar year and the first meeting of the new calendar year for regular elections.
- 6.1.2 – Nominations for all elections shall be made from the floor.
- 6.1.3 – Only MC2 members in good standing may nominate candidates.
SECTION 2 — Proceedings
- 6.2.1 – Elections of officers and members of the Board of Directors shall take place at the first meeting of the calendar year.
- 6.2.2 – The candidate having the largest number of votes shall be elected.
- 6.2.3 – Votes shall be cast by show of hands. No voting by proxy or absentee ballot shall be permitted on any matter presented to the MC2 membership for a vote.
- 6.2.4 – Only MC2 members in good standing may cast votes.
SECTION 3 — Special Elections
- 6.3.1 – Vacancies in office shall be filled by nomination and election of a MC2 member to fill the unexpired term of the office at the regular meeting which the vacancy is announced.
ARTICLE 7: MEETINGS
SECTION 1 — Regular Meetings
- 7.1.1 – Regular MC2 meetings shall be held quarterly on the third Thursday of February, May, August, and November.
- 7.1.2 – Time and place is to be specified clearly in advance and posted to the MC2 website.
SECTION 2 — Special Meetings
- 7.2.1 – Club Officers may call special meetings with no less than 5 days prior written notice, and the purpose of the special meetings shall be stated in the written notification.
SECTION 3 — Quorum
- 7.3.1 – A majority of the MC2 officers shall constitute a Quorum for the transaction of all MC2 business.
ARTICLE 8: CHARTERS
SECTION 1 — NAR Charter
- 8.1.1 – MC2 is chartered by the National Association of Rocketry, and is NAR Section Number 589. Provisions of the charter require the safe operation of all rocketry-related activities by all members. The NAR Safety Code is to be followed at all times.
SECTION 2 — TRA Charter
- 8.2.1 – MC2 is recognized as a Prefecture #134 of the Tripoli Rocketry Association. Provisions of the charter require the safe operation of all rocketry-related activities by all members. The TRA Safety Code is to be followed at all MC2 designated as TRA commercial or research launches.
ARTICLE 9: AMENDMENTS
SECTION 1 — Amendments
- 9.1.1 – These bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of those Club members present and voting at any meeting of the Club.
- 9.1.2 – Written notice of the pending amendment must be sent to the membership of the Club at least five days in advance of such a meeting.